University of Miami Frost School of Music
This will be the 28th Summer Academy of the University of Miami Frost School of Music at Salzburg College.
Who should attend?
If you are an undergraduate or graduate music student majoring in voice or piano accompanying, this unique program is for you.
Young professionals, teachers, and interested amateurs who wish to audit this program, and outstanding high school seniors, are also encouraged to apply.
Because each student will receive private instruction and enrollment is limited, early registration is strongly advised.
Undergraduates will earn seven university credits.
Graduate students will earn two credits for voice or piano / accompanying and three credits for German, a total of five graduate credits.
Credits will be awarded as follows:
- Voice: four undergraduate (or two graduate) university credits;
- Piano / Accompanying: four undergraduate (or two graduate) university credits.
You may choose to study Voice and German or Piano / Accompanying and German for a total of seven (five) university credits.
Special Features of the Program
- Your classes and private lessons will be held under the auspices of Salzburg College. Your performances will be held at various special venues in the city of Salzburg, including Schloss Mirabell, one of the few places where Mozart actually performed in Salzburg.
- You will participate in master classes with distinguished guest artists, as well as with musicians from the prestigious Salzburg Festivals.
- You will attend several Salzburg Festival events, including opera, orchestral concerts, Lieder, and piano recitals.
- You can choose from two housing options to best suit your own needs and goals:
- You may select to live with a family in the city of Salzburg. Breakfast and dinner will be provided by your family, and you will have lunch on weekdays at Salzburg College.
- You may select to stay in a dormitory. Breakfast will be provided at the dorm and you will have lunch on weekdays at Salzburg College. Evening and weekend meals will be at your own expense.
- You will attend numerous special events and visit historical places in Salzburg, including:
- Salzburg Festival concerts and operas
- Additional musical events in Salzburg
- A day trip to the Salzkammergut region of lakes and mountains
- Hellbrunn Palace and water games
- Voice students and accompanists will have access to a comprehensive collection of standard German Lieder.
- All students will have access to individual practice facilities each day and evening, including weekends.
- You may participate in student recitals, which are open to the public.
How to apply
Each applicant should submit the following on or before April 1:
- A completed application form
- A recording to include the following:
- Singers: A minimum of three contrasting art songs in two or more languages, and one or more opera or oratorio aria.
- Pianists: A minimum of three selections in contrasting styles of at least 15 minutes duration. One selection may be an accompaniment with voice and/or string/keyboard repertoire.
- A brief statement of recommendation from your present or most recent teacher.
Please write to Dr. Esther Jane Hardenbergh, Salzburg Program Director, University of Miami Forst School of Music, P.O. Box 248165, Coral Gables, Florida 33124, or call 305-284-4886.